Finally, the thing you have worked so hard and always dreamt of is approaching- YOUR DREAM PLACEMENT. But there are certain things you need to know before you get it. You will get to know about 100s of companies this placement season. Now the question is how you can choose from those companies which one is most suitable for you? A good placement is not only about bagging maximum package but it is getting placed in a company which goes with your skill sets. Work that suits your personality should be the focus not the package. So, know yourself better and the company you apply for. A coder can’t live his life happily in consultancy and an orator can’t make a good career making circuits in a core company. So, first thing you need to know is how to match yourself with company from pool of companies.
This article aims at providing you knowledge about types of companies that visit Thapar University and the skills they look for. These companies can be broadly categorized in 3 types namely software, consultancy and core (mechanical, electronics, electrical companies). Now let us discuss about these companies briefly.
- Software companies: – You can simply call them coding companies. All they require is good coding skills. Such companies are generally for computer science students and maximum of them allow students of ECE (not all) and rare are open for all branches. So, if you are a person who is interested in coding or has a past related to coding you should apply for them. These can further be categorized as: –
- Companies that requires hardcore coding skills and vast knowledge of frameworks. Such companies expect complete knowledge of computer science subjects like operating systems, computer architecture, data structures, c, c++, java, oops, databases and few others. Also, they require you to have knowledge of some scripting language like java script or any framework using them like angular. Companies mention them in their requirement document that you will receive via mail from placement cell. Such type of companies are generally product companies means they make software for their own use.
- Some companies can compromise on knowledge of frameworks. All they require is person with logical mind and good knowledge of basic computer science subjects. So, for such companies you just need to be a moderate to proficient level coder and rest they will teach you in training period. Such types of companies are generally software outsourcing companies which means they make software for other companies.
Hence before applying for a software company know your skill set well. If you are student of branch other than computer science companies generally lowers their expectations in terms of knowledge of frameworks and some computer science subjects like operating systems, databases. But then prepare yourself to be grilled in terms of basic c, oops, data structures and other logical coding problems.
2) Core companies: – Such companies seek candidates with good knowledge of core subjects. ECE, Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, Chemical students will get their core companies on campus which will allow only their branch to appear. These companies require candidates to have deep knowledge of core subjects. Also, they require candidates with good cgpa as a good cgpa is reflection of seriousness towards core subjects. So, if you are willing to apply for core company know your core subjects well and have a good cgpa. To know more about core companies, visit our interview section and find interviews of core companies and tips to prepare for them.
3) Consultancy companies: – The main purpose of Consulting firms is to provide professional advice to other companies. Those other companies can be from different sectors like Software, finance, Management, Airlines, Healthcare etc. If you have excellent communication skills and love to work with people, manage teams and have analytical mindset to tackle problems then this category of companies is for you. Mainly these companies focus on following qualities during recruitment:
- Great Interpersonal Skills
- Confident Personality
- Analytical Mindset
- Team Working ability
They will test these skills by analyzing you on following things:
- How you tackle and solve Puzzles. This will help them know how you handle yourself in uncomfortable situations.
- How much have you actively participated in your college events?
- What has been your role in various projects? Make sure you have at-least 1 technical project in your CV. You are from engineering background is still expected to be little tech-savvy.
- The way you proceed in solving guesstimate questions. This will help them know how whether you have a systematic approach in moving forward with problems.
To know about interview preparation tips for any of these company types visit our interview section: – http://unsaidtalks.com/interviews/
To get guidance to prepare resume for any of these companies read this article: – http://unsaidtalks.com/art-resume-writing/