“Gaurav Sood” who was placed at “Informatica” talks about his interview experience and some other tips to prepare for placement season.
The interview was taken by our UnsaidTalks interviewer- “Aayushi Mathur” from 2nd Year, Thapar University.
Check out what he says about placement season.
Branch & Graduation Year: COE– 2018
Profile Offered: Software Developer
Cgpa cutoff: 7.0
Interview difficulty level: 8/10 (1-very easy, 10-very Difficult)
CTC: 9 LPA
Here are the questions we asked from Gaurav Sood to know about his interview experience.
Question 1: Introduce yourself to our readers.
Answer : I am a friend who loves learning new things, maths and friendship. I also likes to teach because teaching is the best method to learn.
Question 2: Describe Your written test experience specifying the number of rounds, details of each round and type of test platform ( If online mention the type of test platform eg. Hackereart, CoCubes, Amcat etc).
Answer: Round 1 (45 Minutes): 30 MCQs, questions on databases, data structures and operating system. 42 students cleared round one.
Round 2 (90 Minutes): Four coding questions on cocubes.com
Question 1: Remove the duplicate character from a string.(5 Marks)
Question 2: Rotate linked list by k nodes.(5 Marks)
Question 3: Rearrange a given linked list in-place.(10 Marks) Example: Input 1->2->3->4->5 Output 1->5->2->4->3
Question 4: Minimum cost path in a matrix(variation of this question). (10 Marks) I did two 10 marks questions. Students who had selected after this round done either all 4 questions or 2(10 marks) &1(5 marks) or 2(10 marks) question. 18 students cleared this round.
Suggestions: Do some practice on cocubes.com, if possible. On cocubes, if STL does not work and if you are coding in c++ then always remember to write using namespace std at top.
Question 3: Describe your all technical interviews specifying number of rounds and details of each round (if any).
Answer. There were total 4 technical rounds (if they were not satisfied then they will take one extra technical round after HR round so be prepared).
Round 3(approx. 1 hour): Interviewer was cool and calm.
1. He scan my CV and asked about my project one by one. He give me coding questions based on my projects and asked my projects importance and why i did it. Around 30-35 mins we discussed about my project.
2. He also saw the codes of round 2 and asked me about the approach I used .
3. He gave me question to code. Question is mirror the alternate levels of tree which i did it in 10-12 mins with code.
4.Then he asked me to rate myself in database and i rated myself 3 out of
5. Then he asked how we can extract top 20 salaries from a database. I gave many approaches like we can use top, limit, rownum etc but we said I can not them. Basically he want an answer by using aggregate functions and sub queries. I tried and give him a approaches but not the correct answer.
Round 4 (approx 1 hour): First the interviewer asked me about the previous interview.
1.Then he jump on the conceptual part and asked me about virtual functions and virtual classes.
2. He asked the difference between malloc, free, new and delete in c++. How the delete and new works internally.
3.Then he asked me about my what is your favorite data structures. I told him linked list and tree. Then he gave me a question which is connect nodes at same level. I told him that I already did this question in a competition and tell him the approach and after that he told not to code this.
4. Then he gave me an another question which is find the maximum sum rectangle in a matrix. I gave him the brute force method but he wants more optimized approach then I optimized my approach little bit, he was happy with approach but not fully satisfied.
5. Last he asked me about count array inversion, I told him what it is and start writing the code but he stopped me and say that’s enough.
Round 5 (approx 1 hour):
1. Small discussion on my projects.
2. Asked me about my favorite subject. I said operating system. Then he asked me to code SJF(shortest job first) scheduling algorithm. First I told him by taking normal arrays, then i optimized it by using priority queue (min heap) then he told me to code min heap. 3. Asked me about TCP and three way handshaking.
3. Find median of infinite online coming data.
4. To divide the array in to k subset such that each set sum is nearly equal to each other.
5. Then he asked me why you want to work with informatica and what do you know about informatica. Then he asked me if I have some questions, then I asked couple of questions like what he likes the most working with informatica and what should I learn if I will selected.
1.Always start with explaining your approach first then only write clean code.
2. Always try to engage with your interviewer.
3. Prepare some questions to ask the interviewer in the end, if they allow.
Question 4: Describe your all HR interviews specifying number of rounds and details of each round.
Answer: As I entered in the room, he offered me biscuits and I politely decline but he insist and then I take one and asked for water also. He saw my resume and asked me about chess which is written on my resume. He asked me what is the minimum steps to do checkmate. Then he asked about my family. Big discussion on relocation.
Tip: Be honest.
Question 5: What do you think were key factors for your selection?
Answer: 1. Number of approaches.
2. Clean codes.
3. Basic concept.
Question 6: What advice would you like to advise juniors for technical skills they should develop?
1. Learn any oops language(Java is preferable).
2. Learn new technologies(like machine learning, cloud computing etc).
Things one must do:
1.Do your projects yourself sincerely, you must have to know what you have done in a project.
2. Practice coding on paper.
3. Start doing competitive coding.
4. Make notes to revise in the end moments.
5. Teach your friends or juniors coding or any subject.
6. Start doing Geeksforgeeks and interview bit.
7. Start doing Karumanchi or Cracking the coding interview (Books).
Question 7: What would you like to advise juniors for cracking HR round of this company?
Answer: 1. Just be honest and never write anything on CV which you never did.
2. Make a list of standard HR question and practice them.
For any further Queries feel free to contact at email@example.com